February 8, 2010

Heritage




“I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me

but I find I am grateful for having loved them.

The gratitude has finally conquered the loss.”
R. M. Brown




Photobucket
My dear Grandpa Gibbs holding me - 1954



My ancestors led hard-working lives of faith and integrity.

I am honored to to be Diane (Stayner) Gibbs Freeman.




I am blessed to have wonderful memories with both sets of my Grandparents;

all 4 of them were in my life until I was 19 years old.






Photobucket
Roy & Mable Gibbs - My father's parents





Photobucket
Henry & Sarah Stayner - My mother's parents





My Mother's Parents

Grandpa Stayner was a turkey farmer in Malad, Idaho. His parents immigrated from London, England and Grandma Stayner's parents came from Whales(Evan Jones) and France(Josephine Dechamps)


One of my most prized pieces of furniture

came from Great-Grandmother Josephine Dechamps Jones;


Photobucket


it is her buffet,

rescued from their Malad barn

and refinished by my father.



Photobucket



Photobucket
Grandma Stayner's vase



Photobucket
1954 - Grandma & Grandpa Stayner with me





Photobucket
My mother, Naomi Stayner Gibbs, and her family tree





My Father's Parents

I loved my Grandpa, Roy B.Gibbs; it was fun to make him chuckle. A cotton farmer in Alpaugh, CA , his ancestors came from Bavaria, Germany in 1747. At age 14, Nicolas Gibbs left his parents and traveled by ship to America. An Army Private in 1871, he fought under General George Washington in the Battle at Kings Mountain in The Revolutionary War. A sniper, he and his company ambushed several hundred Red Coats. At a time when America was merely colonies, he received a large land grant in Knoxville, Tennessee, as compensation for his military service. On that land, he raised 13 children in a log cabin that still stands today. Many Knoxville residents bear my maiden name, Gibbs; for more information regarding the Nicholas Gibbs Historical Society, go here or here.



Photobucket
Home of Nicholas Gibbs
Built in 1793 in Knoxville, Tennessee



Grandpa Roy Gibbs was also a Baptist preacher, working odd jobs to endure the Great Depression. One day, when a man couldn't afford to pay him, Grandpa said he would gladly take the desk in the barn for compensation. I can still picture Grandpa sitting at that desk.

Now mine,
I sit at it every day.



PhotobucketPhotobucket
Grandpa Gibbs' Desk





Three Generations of Gibbs
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Richard Roy Gibbs(my father) / Roy Benjamin Gibbs



PhotobucketPhotobucket
Julius Benjamin and Rosa Linda (James)Gibbs


I am related to the notorious outlaw, Jesse James

through Rosa Linda James



PhotobucketPhotobucket
Augustus James and Sarah Pierson James
Rosa Linda's parents



PhotobucketPhotobucket
Grandpa & Grandma Gibbs holding me



Photobucket
1969 - Grandpa Gibbs with me,
Marsha, Susan, Jennifer (clockwise)




Photobucket
1976 - Our engagement dinner



Grandma Mable Gibbs outlived all of my other grandparents by over 20 years. She lived to be 90 years old and I am thankful all 4 of my children had her in their lives.

Grandma Mable and I shared many interests.

She was a skilled cook, seamstress, gardener, and artist

.....and she loved to oil paint

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Mable Flora Gibbs



PhotobucketPhotobucket
1997 Grandma Mable with Chloe----1990 Chrissy, Brittany




Grandma Mable's parents came from Liverpool England;
John W.Elvidge(1877) and Minnie Mae Anderson(1884)
PhotobucketPhotobucket



I love this photo
of my great grandmother,Lillie Elvidge,

John's mother.


Photobucket


Minnie Mae, or Grandma Elvidge as we called her, came to visit when I was about 12, she was 82. It was springtime and we took pictures under the white blossoms of our apricot trees; she wore a dress with little flowers on it. It was the last time I remember seeing her.


Photobucket
1967 Minnie Mae Elvidge with Roy Gibbs


I have a few treasures that once belonged to my
Great Grandmother & Grandfather Elvidge.



PhotobucketPhotobucket
Minnie Mae's cream pitcher(1895) and vase




Photobucket
Razor strap and lather brush used by John W. Elvidge - Circa 1895




PhotobucketPhotobucket
Grandma Gibbs' coffee mug - A salt & pepper set given to her by her sister Nora




Photobucket
1953 - Wedding gift to my parents from Grandma Gibbs' brother, Mark Elvidge




Photobucket




Photobucket




“I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work 15 and 16 hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example.” - Mario Cuomo




I owe a great deal to my ancestors.

...till I see you again,

I love you, Grandma & Grandpa


******

9 comments:

Cheryl Joy said...

Very lovely, Diane.

You are so thoughtful.

Marci said...

I must admit I didn't read it all, but I LOVE looking at the old pictures. Your dad looks so much like his dad - amazing. My favorite piece was the first vase - it's gorgeous!

Chrissy said...

I didn't know so many of the things in your house were heirlooms. And I always wanted a copy of that family tree Grandma made and framed in her Purple Room. Now I have one!

Brittany said...

You have some great stories and photos! A few things came to mind while reading this:
#1 we're having a heritage enrichment night in a couple weeks where we are to bring a family heirloom and I realized I can't think of anything I have in my possession (unless I'm forgetting something), you're so lucky to have all those treasures!

#2 your last line about "till I see you again" reminds me that yesterday at church we sang "God Be With You Til We Meet Again." It was the first time singing it since grandpa Freeman's funeral in November and I told Ili I'm sure it would be hard, but instead I smiled and was really happy imagining where he is and what he's up to currently. I was reminded I need to carry on his legacy. Just like we all need to carry on the legacy of our ancestry (except for maybe Jesse James ;)

Zach O. said...

definitely interesting to see and hear about one's roots....where they been...what they done.

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...

Such a beautiful post...I have many special memories of our grandparents, and I'm so glad we had the privilege of being around them as much as we were able to be. I so look forward to the big "family reunion" with our dear loved ones.

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynnie said...

I love the treasured heirlooms we have representing our heritage. They bring me comfort somehow, and a connection of love. Many times in my prayers, I'll ask Heavenly Father to tell my grandmas hello, and aks Him to thank them, because I feel that I am a combined result of them.
I love the pic of Grpa and Grma Stayner. They look like they are very much in love. It's nice to think about since Valentine's day is coming up. The vase you have of Grma Stayner's is so beautiful! I have a few items of grma's, a vase, a blue bowl and a corner cupboard. From Grma Jones, I have a candy dish and a bell. I had no idea that there was a piece of furniture out there of hers. The buffet is beautiful. How special. My mom said that Grma Jones was one of her favorite people in the whole world and that she couldn't wait to see her. Mom said that she felt loved and safe with her, and loved her very much. She said that she was a good cook. There was always delicious food in her home, pies, jellies, eclairs, and bread.
You and I share the Stayner heritage, and maybe some of your dad's as well. I think that my dad's side came from Bavaria too. You use your grpa's desk, well, I also use my Grpa Johnson's roll top desk. I have the same pedigree chart as you, hanging over that roll top desk. Our Aunt Jenny made that pedigree chart for all her sisters. Of course my mom's pic is where your mom's pic is. I loved your quotes. We feel the same connection, love, and gratitude for our ancestors. I'm looking forward to meeting them someday. Thank you Diane for your meaningful special post.

Grammie Star Wars said...

okay, if this is what you can do after organizing all of your photos! Then it is worth to try this new adventure for myself! ;.)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe