April 5, 2010

Photobucket


Chrissy and Zach joined us

for Easter Brunch


Photobucket


China: courtesy of Lois Freeman

Silver pieces: courtesy of my dear mother

Wild flowers: courtesy of the Texas Hill Country



Photobucket


Easter Brunch Menu:

Eggs Benedict

Raspberry Blintzes

Fried Potatoes



Photobucket


After brunch, we feasted on General Conference

Favorite moments from Saturday's session:

#1

I am so thankful for William Tindale, who, in the 16th Century, gave his life to translate the Bible into English. And to many after him, who, at risk of life and liberty, gave their precious savings to purchase Bibles, which then, were legal only in the hands of Catholic Church leaders. These courageous and faithful followers of Christ, opened the door for my religious freedom and they would be gratified to see bibles easily available today in drawers of hotel rooms.
(talk by Elder Todd Christofferson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles)


#2

The sincere testimony born by Brother Koichi Aoyagi of the Quorum of the Seventy touched my heart.

#3


Perhaps my favorite speaker of all time is Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I have taught many lessons in my life, in Relief Society, Young Women's, and Primary. When citing quotes to make an important point, the speaker I most often use is Brother Holland. He gives it to us straight, gets to the point, doesn't mince words and does it all with great humility. He speaks to my heart, and his closing remarks on the the Saturday session did not shrink from doing just that. In my opinion, this talk was the most pertinent and powerful message of the day.


Sunday, being Easter, was appropriately spent honoring the life, ministry, and most importantly, the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel a profound renewal of gratitude and debt toward my brother, Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.



He is risen! He is risen!

Tell it out with joyful voice.

He has burst his three days' prison;

Let the whole wide earth rejoice.

Death is conquered, man is free

Christ has won the victory.


In my entire life, I have rarely watched General Conference from beginning to end. Usually, I watch one full session per day. After two hours, I get antsy and tell myself I'll read the rest of that day's talks in the Ensign next month, which, in most cases, I do. I am different these days; I have watched the last two Conferences from beginning to end, and I hunger for more. I am not sure what to attribute it to. . . .

maturity,

a deepening need for Christ,

more time, and a keener sense of how to best spend it,

or all of the above.


Whatever it is, I really hated to see Conference end. I didn't want other media on afterwards, so I could bask in the light of the sweet messages for awhile longer. Rather than overloaded, I feel invigorated by the hours of counsel. Encouraged. Committed anew.


Lastly I want to mention something that was a complete revelation to me. The final talk of the conference was given by Neil L. Andersen. He expressed concerns, as the final speaker, that much of his material may have already been spoken by others before he would get to the podium. He said that none of the speakers are assigned subjects and the entire course of the conference is left to the direction of the Lord. Fortunately, or as divine intervention would have it, no other speaker had repeated his, or any other speaker's, material.

As a lifetime member of the LDS Church, who has heard and given innumerable Sacrament talks, all of which were on assigned subjects, I assumed that General Conference talks were carefully selected and assigned by the First Presidency. This revelation, that subjects are not assigned, makes Conference an even more meaningful and an amazing experience. Elder Andersen described it perfectly as a "spiritual symphony full of revelation and power . . . repeated themes, principle building upon principle, prophetic warnings, uplifting promises - the divine harmony is a miracle. In this conference, we have heard the mind and will of the Lord"



Amen, to that.



11 comments:

Cheryl Joy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful, meaningful day. I love hearing about the renewal in your spirituality... what a great time for it. :)

Lynnie said...

Beautifully said, and your brunch looks devine! This is Jennifer's birthday week! If you're out there Jen, Happy birthday!

Brittany said...

I felt the same way this year mom, like I could have sat through even more conference. I had heard that they don't assign talks, however this year, and I don't think it's just because it's one of my current primary concerns, I felt like they talked a lot about how to raise children, be better mothers and several speakers used the phrase "the rising generation." Each time they did Ili and I would start singing that song from some old Church movie.

michele cabiness said...

I agree 100%, I wanted conference to go on longer too. It could have been because I felt like every speaker could have written their talks just for me. There was a definite theme of motherhood.

also your meal looks delicious, we had egg gravy, but I think we (Nick especially) would have preferred yours!

Marci said...

I didn't read all about the conference stuff...no time at the moment...but that food looks YUMMY!!! We did a brunch for Easter this year too.

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...

Thanks dear Lynnie! I will be spending my b-day this year at girl's camp in the mountains outside of Mexico City...a first for me...(-:

I loved General Conference this year, and just basked in the wonderful talks. I tuned into it with some personal questions, which were answered in abundance by the many great talks given. I, too, felt a bit sad when it was over...I wish every Sunday, or at least every month we could have conference...

Anonymous said...

It was a delicious brunch. But, Michele, I did think about egg gravy.

I loved General Conference! I have truly enjoyed and learned many things from the past 5 conferences. (past 5 because that's when I rededicated myself to listen to each and every session, they are all on my ipod.)
Another wonderful post, Doodie!

Chrissy said...

Would you believe me if I told you I ate a fully meal after this at the Oliversons later? I couldn't believe it myself.

Lynnie said...

Let me add, that I also enjoyed the spirit and talks of conference. I enjoyed the eight hours of it, and among my favorite talks was Julie Beck's.

I pictured you doing handwork and sewing while watching it, since that's what you did alot of during March Madness. I went through all of my recipes and organized them. By the last hour of the last session, I had completed my task! ... What are raspberry blintzes?

Diane said...

A raspberry blintz is a crepe, filled with cottage cheese(egg yolk and vanilla added)and topped with raspberry sauce (crushed, water and sugar added, then thickened over heat with cornstarch)sprinkle with powdered sugar. deeeeelish. It is Steve's specialty. I do the eggs benedict. We tried something new with the potatoes. They were fried in oil with a package of dry Lipton onion soup mix...very easy and good.

Kelley said...

Nothing like a beautifully set table with heirloom pieces, a delicious meal and some spiritual enlightenment AND all enjoyed with some of those whom you love!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe