September 28, 2009

Autumn Walk



Don't you just love it when rain puddles shrink into this?



Photobucket


It looks like a Hershey's Chocolate Bar


. . . . or the top crust on brownies.

When I was little I would carefully pick up the segments,
place them on my pink rosebud china;
and serve chocolate cookies at my tea party
.



**********************************************


I found wild animal tracks too . . . .

Raccoon


Photobucket



Deer

Photobucket



Golden Retriever

Photobucket





Turning for home . . . .

Photobucket


The Boys always know exactly where to turn for home. I don't even know
the precise spot; it always takes me awhile to find the trampled grass path. Sometimes it feels like the dogs are smarter than I am, just like a horse I rode once. We were lost in the hills and when I let the reins go, he not only knew the way home, he galloped straight to it.

I got to thinking about that. Do I really know how to get home . . .

Not my house,

You know, home home . . . . Heaven.

I think I do. But am I galloping toward it? hardly.


We could learn a thing or two from dogs. Dogs keep it simple: eat, drink, sleep, take walks, obey master. People, with all of their intelligence and reason, complicate things. You don't see dogs comparing themselves to one another, holding grudges, over scheduled, gossiping, living beyond their means, sleep disordered, addicted to alcohol or nicotine or chocolate or caffeine. No, just the superior species does that; the top of the intellectual chain.


But then, dogs also eat their doo doo,
so we don't really want to be like them.


I am just saying, sometimes we get in our own way of getting home.

Keep it simple: eat healthy, sleep enough, exercise, obey The Master.




7 comments:

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...

...but I sure hope there's chocolate in heaven. Would it BE heaven w/o chocolate?...

Chrissy said...

What a lovely post. A spiritual thought to get my week started right. I loved that, Mom. It's so true. I complicate things WAY too much. There's an acronym that I learned from the wise Bear Grylls on Man v. Wild, it was 'K.I.S.S' = Keep it Simple, Stupid. I think that is very apt to this post :-)

Brittany said...

What a good pre-conference analogy, it sounds just like the stories they tell. We do complicate things way too much. I loved that you learned from your dogs the same type of stuff I learn from my preschool and kindergarteners, who like dogs, keep it simple.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to put that on a board in my house, "Keep it Simple: Don't eat your doo-doo" =o)

I really love the thought though - we do need to just keep it simple. I love your pictures by the way. They're always so gorgeous. You've always taken great pictures.

Zach O. said...

very well said...i agree whole-heartedly.

lolomae said...

I love your chocolate cookies for your tea party. LaRee has been wanting to make the cocoa since you gave the recipe. Yesterday it was 98 and today it was 78, much cooler. She bought some can milk for it. I couldn't believe how much can milk is now. It used to be cheaper than regular milk, anyway we made it and it was not as rich as I remembered. I got the can out of the trash and saw that it only has 12 ounces now. It used to be 14 ounces. We had to add some reddywhip spray. It was pretty good though.

Diane said...

Lois, when I make my version of this cocoa, I do a much stronger ratio of canned milk...I like it rich. Sounds like it is supposed to be that way. And I still add reddywhip on top of THAT. I know what you mean about canned milk prices, it makes "Lois Cocoa" a luxury.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe