January 22, 2010

Photobucket
1959



My mother always said,


"remember who you are, my girl,

remember who you are."



This was prescribed right after I burst into unladylike laughter . . . . guffaws, if you will.

(a practice I still haven't overcome)

or if my skirt was too short

or if I committed the cardinal sin of criticizing myself. . .
(something young women can be very good at)

. . . . and, while raising 4 daughters, mom heard it often:

"My feet are too big"

"I'm stupid"

"My legs are too skinny"

"I'm uncoordinated"

"This makes me look fat"

"My eyelashes are too short"

"I'm such a dork"

"I'll never get married"

"I am too flat chested"

"I'm too shy"

"no one likes me"

"I just wish I was . . . . . . different"


( we sound like the ugly stepsisters, for heaven sake)




I ran into this today, in my folder of favorite quotes I keep in the desk

I think it is powerful:


There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening, an energy that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable, nor how it compares with other expressions. It's your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly and to keep the channel open. You are unique. And if that is not fulfilled, then something precious is forever lost.

thank you, Martha Graham, teacher & choreographer, 1894-1991




and thank you, Momma

because I can still hear your voice in my head

and sometimes, even still,

I need to be reminded of the full value of who I really am.


Photobucket
2009


5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Fabulose quote. I like that one a lot... And that is something Grandma said to us Grand-girls as well.

michele cabiness said...

Oh I loved that quote. I am already beginning to hear it from my girls. The other day Charlotte said "I wish I didn't have fat legs" I like your mothers response.

Brittany said...

Yep grandma always said that to us grand daughters too, "be a lady, my girl." She definitely is a "lady" herself! I love that quote too. I am sure my daughter(s) will say some of those lines, let's just hope my son(s) don't talk about eyelash length, or feet size ;)

Kelley said...

Isn't it so true. I think every female has those feelings at one time or another and more than not TOO often. I would love to share that quote and your sweet message with our YW. We can't be reminded enough. Thanks for reminding♥

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...

What a beautiful post--we're so lucky to have the dear mother and father that we have, aren't we? I think about mom's "Remember who you are" advice a lot. You have the best blog!!! I look forward to it every day...(-:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe