January 15, 2010

All Purpose Miracle Bread Dough

Photobucket


I've told you about our Italian restaurant in Fresno, DiCCo's.

And I told you about Michele's bread recipe that is just as good as DiCCo's.

But wait 'till you hear this.

The entree we always get at DiCCo's is Calzone.
Basically, it is a pizza, folded in half and deep fried
.

I know what you are thinking . . . . . . . super healthy.

Well, when we ate there in August,
we asked the waitress if they used the same dough for the Calzone as they use for the bread.


When the answer came . . . yes . . .
we knew it was time to try our bread recipe on a calzone.


Photobucket


Roll out dough the size of a personal pizza.

Fill with sauted mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, olives, Italian sausage, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese.
Fold in half, pinch edges, deep fry.

al forno style: top with mozzerella, melt under the broiler.

Serve with marinara sauce.



Photobucket


It was soooo good, Steve took a bite and giggled for a solid minute.

deeeeeeeelish!


Photobucket


. . . . . if that isn't enough, use the left over dough to make cinnamon rolls.

Anyone who has ever been to the Big Fresno Fair

knows one of the main reasons we go:
cinnamon rolls


Photobucket

or top with pecans

Photobucket


I have been trying to duplicate these rolls for years and with this bread dough,
sugar and cinnamon and a frosting glaze on top,


eureka!

these taste identical to the Fair's

---------------------

Michelle recommends making garlic bread:
microwave a whole head of garlic for 30 seconds, peel and add all cloves,
plus 2 tsp of garlic powder, to the bread dough. Yum.


---------------------

My cousin Lynne recommends using unbleached flour;
she's right, it's better :)

----------------------

I truly believe

This dough would make any bread based recipe into something fabulous . . .

so, that is why I dub this the "All Purpose Miracle Bread Dough"

---------------------

Do you realize how dangerous these new found discoveries are?

I will definitely have to exercise more


13 comments:

Cheryl Joy said...

YUM! I've never made homemade pizza.

It's time to change that.

Zach O. said...

that calzone looks ridiculously delicious. i want one.

Chrissy said...

Zacho, we were invited over for Calzone the night I made the Italian Sausage and Pasta. We are stupid.

Zach O. said...

i know you told me about them...but i had just got home from a run and was supa hungry and had to shower and stuff.

michele cabiness said...

As I type this I am eating leftover calzone from last night. Thanks soooo much for the idea. I agree with your cousin, I like unbleached flour better. I never buy the bleached stuff anymore.

Lynnie said...

Everything you made looks delicious!!!! The important part of using the unbleached bread flour is the brand. The best is the King Arthur brand. It's the only flour I use, whether unbleached, whole wheat, all purpose ... This is Martha Stewart's choice of flour, too, I discovered. My bead recipe that I have used for years is also my pizza dough, breadstick and cinnamon roll dough. It's great to have one basic recipe that can do so much. You are having fun! Think you'll gain any weight! I guess it doesn't not matter because you can run it off!

Marci said...

I see a San Antonio trip in our near future...

Mike

Brittany said...

Yep we had the calzone over Christmas and it was definitely as good, possibly better than DiCicco's. Even the one dad omitted cheese on came out well, but mine with cheese was still much better!

Marci said...

It does look delish...too bad it's all off limits for me, but it's probably a blessing in disguise (especially since I'm trying to lose baby weight, not look pregnant again). Love the new couch set up too!

Anonymous said...

Any post with a recipe is a great post! I'll have to try this, and the french bread, and your lasagna.

I love that Chrissy and Zach have their own conversations via blog posts. Cracks me up.

You make me want to live in Texas .. so I can come over for dinner!

Kelley said...

Those pictures are amazing I can acutally smell them baking!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I dream the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe