January 8, 2010

Renewal

Photobucket



There is something sad

about a home that has fallen into disrepair.


Over the years, we have spent many hours cruising up and down streets in older districts, looking for investment properties. I always get excited, and my creative juices start to flow, at the prospect of upgrading and restoring the character of old dwellings.

Steve and I are currently renovating such a home in San Antonio. It is on the south side. Every town has a south side. In Fresno, it is on the west. But we all know what it means: undesirable, poverty, crime, and rundown buildings. We have rehabbed a few of these homes over the years, and it always gives me the same feeling: I am returning it's dignity and purpose.

These homes are often built with craftsmanship no longer used today. Even the humblest of cottages are graced with hardwood floors, stone fireplaces, wooden mantels, and custom cabinetry. Sadly, many old homes are vacant and condemned; people have moved on, leaving them to decay.They served well, for so many years; now, they are left barely standing, their dignity stifled, looking forlorn. It seems wrong to let something as proud and substantial as a home fall into complete disrepair and rot away; disrespectful of its years of service, to abandon it for another shiny new house.

If they could speak, these homes would have something to say, from under all the peeling paint and drooping eaves. I think of the families it has nested, first kisses on the front porch and babies born in the bedroom; birthday and anniversary celebrations, plans made at the kitchen table and heartaches too. It is all still there; whispers in the wallpaper and layers of paint.

We get to know a little about the former occupants from things they leave behind. As I swept out a closet in this home, I found a tattered sheet of paper with the words to a song scribbled on it. I imagined a young man in his bedroom, dreaming this song was his ticket to the fame and fortune of a rock star or rapper.


Kitchen before
Photobucket


During

Photobucket



Bathroom before

Photobucket


During

Photobucket



The gems of this house are the limestone fireplace and solid oak floors

Photobucket


The family pitched in to help

Chrissy gave it 110 percent

As we worked, it gradually came back to life.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


PhotobucketPhotobucket



Until. . . . it was renewed

. . . . . . and ready to nurture another family story.



PhotobucketPhotobucket



PhotobucketPhotobucket



Photobucket



When we close the door on a finished restoration, there is a great sense of satisfaction


Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

........and the house even seems to sigh, “thank you”.


4 comments:

Brittany said...

You guys should consider working for "This Old House." Dad and Chrissy on the repair end and you on the decorating, photography and narration end. I loved this post. What a transformation! Oh and I was working on the floor in that bedroom while you read those hand written lyrics. I guess I wasn't listening too close because I thought it was written by a girl about some dream baller or gangsta of hers. Either way it surely was a ticket to fame left behind ;)

Marci said...

You guys definitely have a gift. The house looks amazing!!! I hope it sells quickly :-)!

Cheryl Joy said...

Wow! It is adorable! The fire place is beautiful. Now it has definite curb appeal. Great job!

Lynnie said...

So cute! I'd love to see you guys at work. Will you be working on another one soon, or do you have to wait for this to sell first?

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe