January 1, 2010

New Year's Day

Photobucket


Today, I went outside to take down my Christmas decorations
and something had changed.
The sky was bright and nature was beautiful, as always,
but something was different, more uplifting.

It was the presence of new possibilities.

I get this feeling in the morning. It doesn't come on days I have to go to work.
Rather, on days like Saturday, when I can choose from a myriad of possibilities.
A surge of excitement comes with the consideration of options:
visit a new place, start a new painting or read a book,
walk the dogs in the woods, try a new recipe
. . . whatever my heart desires.
It is an exhilarating feeling of freedom and choice and expectation of better things

it is hope.

It was a familiar morning feeling, but this morning, it was multiplied exponentially
because this morning isn't just a new day, it is a

new month, new year, new decade.

full of possibilities

full of hope

------

Perhaps it's because we are still in the midst of a recession that has given us our share of struggle, that I am glad to see this decade end. After sharing some of my negative memories: Brittany's near fatal accident, the attack on the Twin Towers, financial loss and unemployment, personal health issues, etc., Chrissy quickly reminded me of the good things this decade brought me.

Thanks, Chrissy.

This decade brought many precious blessings that far outweigh any of the negative: Brittany's full recovery, 3 children married in the Temple, 3 grandchildren and a 4th on the way. Dream trips to the Dominican Republic and cruises to Canada and Mexico. We are all active in the Church, blessed with health and love for each other.

I truly look forward to the wonderful things this new decade will bring.

“Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope . . . . 2 Nephi 31:18-20

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night I drove to the top of a hill just to watch the sun go down for the last time in the decade. I thought of several events in my life from each year. Ashamedly, all were negative. Thank, you and Chrissy for sending my thoughts to the positive. Which FAR out weigh the negs. I feel much better having read your blog today. Thank you.

Brittany said...

The struggles and joys of the past decade remind me of 2 Nephi 2:11 about how there must be opposition in all things, you have to have bad in order to recognize good. It all balances out and I'm glad you were able to realize that with the terrible maladies of the past decade, the good events still outweighed them. I think the take-home message from trials, possibly even more than what you physically did to handle the challenge is whether your attitude stayed positive throughout it and if you were able to see the glimmer of light through the darkness. By reading this entry and talking with you about many of your recent struggles you definitely were in the right frame of mind throughout.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe