January 6, 2010

French Bread


Fresno has a fantastic Italian restaurant called DiCCo's.


It is so good that it weighed into the decision whether to move or not.

DiCCo's homemade bread is so fabulous,

it is the standard by which I measure all other breads.


So you can imagine my skepticism when I heard Steve's brother, Don, say,

"Michele makes french bread better than DiCCo's."

Surely, I thought, it must be the exaggeration of a proud father;

it simply isn't possible to improve on DiCCo's bread.

Chef Steve, hastily procured the recipe from Michele and wasted no time baking it.


PhotobucketPhotobucket


it's true folks

cross my heart

I have never, ever, ever tasted better bread


Photobucket


and it is pretty hard to mess up too; Steve made a few mistakes
and it was still good enough to make me want to renew my vows to him.

sooooo good. dangerously good. eat the whole loaf in one sitting good.

it's good.

So if you like warm french bread with perfect crunchy crust (and plenty of butter)

get ready for this one.

here it is

in Michele's own handwriting

(now, you owe me)



Photobucket

p.s. Michele assures us we will stop eating the entire loaf in one sitting after awhile

hope so

10 comments:

Chrissy said...

I made a couple loaves last night.. we polished off the first one already, and the other one won't last long.

Cheryl Joy said...

YES! Can't wait to try it! :)

LaRee said...

Delicious recipe!...Michele tried making extra bread at one family gathering hoping for leftovers...everyone just ate more bread. Sooo good!!

Anonymous said...

After reading this post yesterday, I had to make some bread for dinner last night to go with Diane's delicious home made mushroom soup.

michele cabiness said...

Feel like garlic bread? Last week I microwaved a whole head of garlic for 30 seconds, peeled it and added all of the cloves (whole) plus a couple of teaspoons of garlic powder (not garlic salt) to the mix. Soooooooo gooooood!!

Diane said...

oh dear me. Michele, that sounds fabulous, we will definitely be trying that!

Lynnie said...

Here's another hint or two to make your bread even better: Place the yeast, sugar, and water in a glass bowl. Use King Arthur unbleached bread flour. You'll notice a difference in the quality of the flour, and it will contribute to the lightness of the loaf. People call my bread Lynnie bread! Your's looks delicious! I wish I had some right now!

Diane said...

Hi cousin, thanks for the Lynnie bread tip!

Kelley said...

I can't wait to try this. You are so generous to share. Owe ya!

Debbie said...

Sister Freeman,
I don't know if you remember me, I am one of the many Fremont Seiperts. I saw your blog from Stefanie's, and I've been reading you for a while now. So you know, I LOVE to bake. When you posted this recipe I knew that I had to try it. So this last Sunday, I made it to go with dinner. Oh, my holy heaven! So yummy... and SO easy. We ate an entire double recipe in two days! Thanks the recipe. I have a feeling this will become a family favorite. Oh, and my mom and dad loved it, too! Now that is a real complement!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe