October 24, 2009

Cognitive Dissonance


I am feeling a little bad about calling Oscar de la Renta a jerk.
I mean after all, he is a Dominican,
and the Dominican Republic is on of my favorite places
and it is where Mike went on his mission.
So I am going to retract it, with a brief explanation
and then I am not going to talk about it again,

like you care, right?

So here is the deal.
He was narrating his Spring Fashion Show.
We would walk the runway and then pause near him while he said a few words about our dress.
I was wearing a soft pink, won't ever forget it, chiffon knee length dress
with a scooped, not low, neckline.
As I paused near him, he stuck a long stemmed rose down my top
. . . . right between the girls
and said, "This is the closest you will ever get to Heaven, honey" (??).
In front of about 150 employees of Saks.
I was embarrassed and humiliated.

That's it.

Oh, and he also liked coming into our dressing rooms when we were undressed.

I am going to cut him some slack on the dressing room thing
because it is very common in the modeling world.
All the models he brought ran around nearly naked and no one, but me, seemed phased by it.


I was uncomfortable, and I stopped modeling for in-house shows.
But it was interesting and great fun for awhile
and I got to wear some truly fabulous clothes and furs and jewelry.

It just wasn't the place for a modest little Mormon girl from Fresno.

I will say no more.

So let it be written. So let it be done.


3 comments:

LaRee said...

I think the word Jerk is much to flattering for Mr. de la Renta!:)

Brittany said...

Actually that story does sound familiar. I think I just forgot who stuck the rose on you. And I agree with LaRee that "jerk" is actually generous

aLi said...

Diane! thank you for sharing your fabulous lasagna recipe. i fed the missionaries a few nights ago and decided to give it a try. it turned out beautifully.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe