October 5, 2009

Nature's Gift

Photobucket



An uprooted oak had a gift for me today.



Photobucket



Last winter, this beautiful oak tree toppled over in the woods,
when the ground was softened by rain.

When the tree died,
the leaves turned golden amber and stayed attached to the branches;



I've had my eye on them for awhile
.


Today I took some home for fall decorating.
I am going to spray them with clear acrylic, in hopes they will store for next year.



voila !


Photobucket


Photobucket


I would like to say a few words about General Conference.

Steve, Chloe, and I, together in our living room, eating nachos, enjoyed all 8 hours of Conference. This conference seemed to get back to basics; two particular messages spoke to my heart and soul. The first was about Love, given by President Uchtdorf. He counseled that love should be at the center of everything we do, and that if we love God, we will keep His commandments. I especially liked it when he said, "love should be our walk and our talk."

While President Uchtdorf's message spoke to my heart, Elder Holland's message spoke to my soul. He delivered, what may be, the most powerful testimony I have ever heard of the Book of Mormon.

I feel different today.

I re listened to both messages this morning and I am uplifted and moved to change.

It was a wonderful weekend.

9 comments:

Marci said...

At my grandparents' house last night we talked about both those talks. And Mike picked Elder Holland's as his favorite (we took turns sharing). We thought it was interesting he named specific people who had tried to disprove the Book of Mormon and I loved the story about the men who died declaring it's truth.

Anonymous said...

I love the front door decorations!
Elder Holland's talk was great. In a couple of conferences back he began this testimony of the Book of Mormon by explaining what the New Testament meant when it said no other book should be add to this. That was a great talk also.
Over all, this was a beautiful and powerful conference. I enjoyed all 8 (10 for me) hours.

Zach O. said...

i gained such an appreciation for general conference on my mission...it really is a great weekend. i haven't gotten to the saturday sessions yet, have them recorded...but i really did enjoy elder holland's talk too...powerful. and pres uchtdorf is becoming a favorite speaker of mine.

Brittany said...

I only got a chance to hear Pres. Monson's Sunday morning talk about service and doing something for someone else every single day. I loved that talk, but am excited to hear Uchtdorf, Holland and all the other talks. And your house looks so harvesty I love it!

Chrissy said...

Wasn't Holland's talk crazy-good? The porch looks fabulous... I snuck into the house a bit ago to fax something and everything looked so festive!

Kelley said...

I wish I could sneak in....mannn. I love the front porch. Pleeease share more♥

I agree with you. Conference was truly amazing. Elder Holland's testimony of the Book of Mormon spoke to my heart like nothing before!

Jennifer Gibbs Kambourian said...

Please post more photos of your decorating...I love what you've done with your porch...so cozy and "fallish" ("fally"?) And yes, Elder Holland's talk was just amazing...it inspired me to once again re-start and read through the entire Book Of Mormon. (P.S. I call general conference "Jammy Church"...am I the only one who wears jammies (on purpose) to watch conference?

Diane said...

I love that: "Jammy Church"...no Jenn, you are not the only one. Conference, which is already fantastic, is only enhanced by the fact that we can lounge around and run into the kitchen for snacks. Wouldn't it be great if you could PAUSE Sacrament meeting and go make popcorn in the Serving Area?

Anonymous said...

I absolutly loved conference. What an incredible weekend. President Uchtdorf and Elder Bednard are some of my favorites. Elder Holland's talk was unforgettable. It's one that spoke to me and kept me on the edge of my seat. The spirit was so strong - he's an incredible spiritual giant.

Love the fall decor. I LOVE fall.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetheart 34 years ago in the LDS Temple. I have 4 children (3 married, and a 14 year old) and 6 grandchildren. I lived my entire life in California, until 6 years ago. I now reside in San Antonio, Texas. The most important thing to me is my family; I have invested the most in them and it has paid great dividends. I love doing anything creative that beautifies my surroundings and I love nature. I minored in Art and majored in Interior Design at BYU, yet, my profession is a Tax Preparer.

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I

Steve and I
Pismo Beach

Our Family

Our Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Mike, Marci & Family

Brittany & Ili

Brittany & Ili

Zach & Chrissy

Zach & Chrissy

Chloe

Chloe